File(s) stored somewhere else
Please note: Linked content is NOT stored on University of Manchester and we can't guarantee its availability, quality, security or accept any liability.
Project website: Cultures of Anti-Racism in Latin America
This is the website of the project "Cultures of Anti-Racism in Latin America" (CARLA). This was a three-year project (January 2020 to May 2023) awarded a £1million grant from the Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK) to explore how artists in Argentina, Brazil and Colombia address racial diversity in their work and how they use their art to challenge racism. The project was based in the University of Manchester but research teams focused on each country brought together senior and junior, UK-based and Latin American researchers in the social sciences and arts to work with a range of artists and performers to explore diverse practices, including for example Indigenous literatures, visual arts and cinema in Brazil, hip-hop music in Brazil and Colombia, Afro-Colombian art and an Indigenous-Black organisation that uses performance as a pedagogical tool, and street dance and commercial music forms alongside literature and political art in Argentina. Project researchers worked closely with artists and performers and collaborated with them in project workshops, which also had a public-facing component.
The website gives details of the project team members, in several categories:
- Project Director and Co-Investigators based at the University of Manchester
- Postdoctoral Researchers employed at the University of Manchester for the duration of the project
- Co-Investigators based in Latin American universities and named in the research bid
- Country Advisors based in Latin America and also named in the research bid
- Research Assistants based in Latin America and contracted on a temporary basis
- An International Advisor, based in the UK
The website also gives details of all the artists with whom we collaborated:
- Teatro en Sepia
- Grupo De Teatro Mapuche El Katango
- Identidad Marrón
- Eskina Qom
- Denilson Baniwa
- Daiara Tukano
- Naine Terena
- Jaider Esbell
- Kunumi MC
- Corporación de Danza Afro Colombiana Contemporánea Sankofa
- Margarita Ariza Aguilar
- Ashanti Dinah
- Pedro Blas Julio Romero
- La Corporación Afrocolombiana de Desarrollo Social y Cultural – CARABANTÚ
- Wilson Borja
- Las Emperadoras de la Champeta
The website also hosts a blog and has links to the project's YouTube channel and its online exhibition.
Cultures of Anti-Racism in Latin America
Arts and Humanities Research CouncilFind out more...